Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Elemental Journal Review - Artful Expressions

 Knowing that most of my readers are like me and love to either create or enjoy the beauty of what others can accomplish when they create, I couldn't wait to review this book.


Tammy Kushnir is the author of The Elemental Journal: Composing artful expressions from items cast aside.  And what a book it is.  It's filled with beautiful full color photos  that you'll eeewww and aaahhh over.  There are 128 and I believe there is a gorgeous photo on all but 2 of them. 

Tammy shares with us step-by-step written instructions along with photos on how to create journals, scrapbooks, and other keepsakes from unusual materials and reclaimed or discarded objects.   She gives you tips on seeking out these materials and has inspiring gallery projects from 9 contributing artists.  She will definitely inspire you to think outside the box.

Her art is very nature inspired.  It's has a very earthy basic feel.  She has learned to find potential in everything, from wooden scraps and tree bark to old doorknobs, plastic containers and newsprint paper.  Her materials vary from store-bought items to objects we often come in contact with but are quick to overlook.


In the book she gives you the materials list, a photo and the how-to guide, but offers this as only an inspiration and encourages you to create from within yourself.


I am enjoying "The Elemental Journal" very much.  I've gotten tons of ideas from it and hope that I can find time soon to sit down and do my own thing and a few of hers.  I think people on any level will find the book useful.  The best part of this book is the lesson that anything can be used to make something beautiful, it's just a matter of looking beyond what you hold in your hand and dreaming of what it might become.  

Disclosure:  I'd like to thank Thomas Nelson for providing me a copy of this book to read and review.  I'm a proud member of Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze program.

No comments:

Post a Comment