Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Organizing My Out of Control Fabric

I will be so happy if I ever get that much promised craft/sewing room.  For the longest time I've had my fabrics just folded laying on the shelves.  But not anymore.
Yesterday and I do mean all of yesterday, I made mini bolts and folded fabric.  Really, there was a point where I questioned my sanity and thought I would never see the end of this project.
When I had the fabric originally stacked on the shelf it was a big pain in the butt.  Every time I wanted to look at the fabric I would have to pull it out and then every other fabric wanted to come with it.  It was almost impossible to keep it color organized, which I'm a little obsessive with in the closet too.
I was really surprised to find out how much less room this took up.  More fabric actually fit on the shelves.  This makes it so much easier to get to and to replace the fabric in it's perfectly colored spot.


To do this, I just started out by planning way too little time, but with my schedule of do whatever, whenever I was able to knock it out in one day.  I then took Fed Ex (shhh, don't tell them) boxes and cut into the height of my shelves and smaller then the width (remember fabric room) to make my bolts.  I then folded the fabric the appropriate height and wrapped it around the bolt.  For those big pieces, like the cowboy flannel sheet (I love recycling) I used 2 bolts and started wrapping with one bolt on each end and meeting in the center like a book.  Worked perfect.  So there you have it, one full day of fabric folding + one happy, more organized me = future easy-peasy crafting days.  AAAHHHH.


What have you been organizing lately?  
Have a blessed day y'all......Tracy :)

Quote of the day:
[Jesus said] " I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit."
                                                     John 15:5

I've linked to the following parties:

The Uncluttered Lifestyle

9 comments:

  1. Tracy, can you get more storage in the same amount of space, honey? I need to solve a few problems around here with fabric also.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project! I bet you felt GREAT when you finished! Too crazy around here to tackle any organizing projects ~ we're in treading water mode! Maybe summertime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh darn..I was thinking you needed to mail some of that fabric to your friend in Tx...lol That would of freed up some space.
    Joking aside..it looks great.

    Hugs and squeezes...Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy,
    what a great idea and it looks beautiful!!
    Thanks for entering my giveaway and for posting on your SB.Good luck to you.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I will have to remember that if my fabric get to be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so pretty all together, I love to see other people's fabric stashes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at this closely to see if it would work for me. Problem is I have so many small pieces from quilting. This would work well for the more sizable pieces of fabric, but fat quarter sizes are too small don't you think? I'll be moving out of my present craft room one of these days when my husband finished my wall of cabinets and all my fabric out of the closet shelves too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracy~
    I had to check out this post! What a beautiful sight...organized fabric. You did an excellent job!! Can't wait until I unpack my craft room...that is gonna be awhile... *hugs*
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this and featured it today! Stop by and grab a button, if you'd like.
    http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/04/delightfully-inspiring-thursday-link.html
    DaNita

    ReplyDelete