Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Friday, April 25, 2014

Teachers Change Lives - Adopt-A-Classroom with Office Depot - #TeachersChangeLives #CGC


I have a theory.  Next to our families, teachers are the ones who make the biggest impact on our lives.  So much time spent in their presence has to leave an indelible mark on us.
I'm in my 50's and yet I can still name at least one teacher for every year, from kindergarten through 12th grade.  There are so many special memories I have.
  • There was Miss Petre, my first grade teacher in 1966, who was more like a grandmother, oh' how I adored her.
  •  Then there was Miss Atchley, in 2nd grade, who also taught my sister, and made me feel so special.  She devoted her life to her students and caring for her own mother.  We were her children.
  • I still remember the day I met my 3rd grade teacher, Miss Whitmore.  She was so young and beautiful.  I was on playground being very shy.  She began talking to me and then picked me up and sat me in her lap, giving me very kind compliments and saying our last names were almost identical.  She knew just how to make me feel a little more confident and so special.  And I wasn't even her student yet.
The one thing that stands out in my mind, was walking through the halls after the days end, and seeing the teachers still there, putting in hours of work decorating the classes for us, or toting arm loads of paperwork to their cars, and knowing they would spend hours upon hours of their free time grading papers at home.  What an honorable profession.  They certainly weren't doing it for the pay or the glory.  They got very little of either.

Yes teachers have always had a very special place in my heart.  Now I'm the grandmother of school age children and my heart is still thankful for all they do.

Estrella Pyfrom
Estella Pyfrom uses her Brillant Bus to give students access to technology. She used her life savings to build this bus to help bridge the digital divide. She has recently been featured as one of CNN's heroes.

Teachers make a big impact in all of our lives.  Not one of us can say they didn't because most of us spent a minimum of 12 years in school.

Think about the importance of that statement.  We, as parents are responsible for teaching our children, which is a life long job, but we also hand over a huge chunk of that responsibility to teachers.  We count on them to turn little minds of curiosity into big minds filled with the skills to enter their adult lives.

Now ask yourself this; "How much credit or appreciation do I give them?"  Teachers change lives!  They really do and how do you put a value on that?  Their salaries certainly don't reflect their worth.  On top of not being paid nearly enough, teachers spend money every year out of their own pocket, especially in underfunded areas.
That's why I'm so eager to tell you that Office Depot and Adopt-A-Classroom have partnered to raise awareness about teachers and all that they do in the lives of their students.

  • Adopt-A-Classroom is a nonprofit organization that helps connect donors with teachers to enhance the learning environment for students
  • Office Depot and Adopt-A-Classroom have partnered to raise awareness about teachers, and all that they do in the lives of their students.

You Can Make a Difference Too

Teachers are doing innovative things in the classroom and you can help them do more by donating.  By joining Office Depot we can make all make a difference.  You can donate to Estrella Pyfrom from the video above or a teacher from your own community.  You can also register your classroom and become a part of the Adopt-A-Classroom program.

It's as easy as following the steps below:

#TeachersChangeLives #CGC

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

 Hug a teacher today...

In everything set them an example by doing what is good.  In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.
~ Titus 2:7-8

1 comment: