Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Monday, November 25, 2013

Holiday DIY - Gone Wrong

We've all done it.  We've pinned that oh' so easy to do project. It goes into the file and every now and then we even go as far as to try to recreate that "easy" craft.
That's just what I did recently.  Let's take a look at my Thanksgiving dish towel, shall we?

I didn't copy any particular diy tutorial per-say, just the idea in general.  I started out by using this free Count Your Blessing printable from The Graphics Fairy.  I love this website!
Fall Transfer Printable - Acorn Wreath - Thanksgiving - The Graphics Fairy
Do as I say and not as I do.  I had a package of transfer paper on hand and used that.
Not a good move.  See how it shows up in the photo below. YUCK!  I was so disappointed.  It was old but I don't think that really had anything to do with how it came out.   Next time I will print directly on the fabric or use the wax paper transfer method.  The Graphics Fairy has a wonderful post - 12 Easy Image Transfer Methods for DIY Projects, which gives you 12 links to transfer tutorials. You'll want to check it out.
I had some ticking fabric in my stash that I had tea stained a couple of years ago, so I used it to make a simple ruffle.  After hemming all four sides of the towel I stitched the ruffle at the bottom and covered the seam with black seam tape.  If you don't sew you can purchase press on hem tape to hem your towel.  I'm glad I had everything on hand and didn't spend a dime to make this or I would have been more than disappointed.
So there it is in all is imperfect glory.  Even though it came out the way it did, I was determined to finish it, which is hard for a perfectionist like me, (my life is really hard because I'm a perfectionist without the talent - who never gets it perfect or even close).  I'm trying to make progress against perfectionism, and will use my poor failure of a towel this year and love it as it is.  Don't expect to ever see it again after this year. 

You know, not all projects turn out well but if you don't try you'll never know how to make it better next time. So when you're looking at Pinterest and oohing and aahing over all the perfect projects, try to remember that what you see may not be their first try either.

Come back this week for a good laugh when I show another complete failure.

If you feel the need to see something more uplifting like a successful project you can take a peek at my Pitchfork Welcome Arrangement.

If you've never visited my Pinterest board stop over and check it out.  I've pinned over 5,300 projects.  I'll be lucky to get 20 done.   If you've done a Pinterest copycat - good or bad, I'd love to hear about it.  I'm always looking for diy'ers that would like to be a guest blogger, if your interested please let me know. 
It's all about trying, learning and having fun y'all...

The heavens proclaim the glory of God.  The skies display his craftsmanship.
                                      ~ Psalm 19:1

No comments:

Post a Comment