Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats

It was raining cats and dogs outside this weekend but I had summer on my mind.  I was thinking about the upcoming summer celebrations like Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day and the party foods to go with them.  So I decided to try my hand at making Watermelon Rice Krispies.

I think they turned out pretty cute for my first shot at making them. These are easy to create and you could make them ahead of time. Those are two big pluses for me.

Like I said before this is EASY.  It doesn't get much more simple.  I only made 1/2 the recipe with just one pan.

Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats  
Lightly grease (or line with parchment paper) 2 round cake pans.  I used a 9".  I would use a smaller one next time, just my personal preference.

Ingredients:
1 box of Rice Krispies Cereal
6 Tablespoons of Butter
1 large bag of Mini Marshmallows
Chocolate Chip(Chocolate covered sunflower seeds look more real if you have them).
Green and Red Food Coloring

Green Rind Part   

4 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
4 cups Mini Marshmallows
3 Tb Butter
Green Food Coloring

  • Measure out rice krispies in lg bowl and set aside.
  • Put butter and marshmallow in a microwavable bowl ( I did mine the old fashioned way on the stovetop)
  • Microwave for 2 minutes or until big and puffy.
  • Add green (duh) food coloring and stir. 
  • Quickly poor over rice krispy cereal and mix well.
  • Put a little butter on your hands to keep them from sticking to mix.
  • Put 1/2 in each round cake pan and push around the outer edges.

Red Watermelon Part

5 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
5 cups Mini Marshmallows
3 Tb Butter
Red Food Coloring

  • Repeat steps above and pour into pans and smush.  
  • Let them cool for a bit and them cut them into triangle shapes like a pizza. 
  • Dip chocolate chips in some melted chocolate and place on treats.  

The more cake pans you have the better since these will go very quick.

Wouldn't these make a great end of school year treat for classmates!

4 comments:

  1. This is the cutest thing ever. It would be perfect for summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just know the grandkids would LOVE these this summer. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Tracy, you have my mouth watering now lol Those look so so yummy! I can just see lots more of themed ideas to match that watermelon idea, like ladybug ones, grasshoppers etc lol I love this idea! And by the way, I could totally be your barter & trade neighbor if we lived close to one another lol because I also love that pitcher in the photo with those tiny roses on it. And that green old glass wooden window is just crying out to me to "paint a scene on it" haha With this rainy, windy, lazy sunday we are having here today, I could eat all those yummy treats you made :) ~Julie sewitupjulie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! This is so amazing. I love this idea. Gosh, Tracy, these look great. I love it!

    2dogs5catscrew@att.net

    ReplyDelete