Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Monday, May 6, 2013

Non Coffee Drinker Looking For a Good Cup of Coffee

Yep, that's me a non-coffee drinker.  My parents would be so ashamed.  I don't remember ever seeing either of them without a cup of coffee from sunrise to bedtime, 12 months a year!  We're talking some serious coffee lovers.

 

Every child and grandchild crawled up onto their laps to steal spoonfuls (if not swigs) of their forbidden coffee.  I can still smell it if I think about it hard enough.

Yes, they may have been lifelong coffee drinkers but there wasn't a whole lot to it in those days.  A good can of Maxwell House Coffee was all it took.  No fancy coffee makers for these two.  Shoot they even went to instant when they got older.  But it was always the same old Maxwell House for them.  And my sister and I always knew how to make a cup for them.  Sugar and milk for mama and just sugar for daddy, no milk for a man.

And nobody would think of paying more that 50¢ for a cup of coffee.  Starbucks - there was no such thing, gourmet coffee - Pshaw! 

Why am I talking about decade old memories?  Because for the last week, since I'm back on a morning schedule, I've been craving coffee.  And it's not even winter!  Crazy, hun?  The problem is Maxwell House, just isn't doing it for me.  It's not that I'm wanting a flavored coffee either.  I just want something smooth, without that tinge of bitterness that I taste.

So in search of answers here's a tip I came up with from somewhere on the How To's of the web.

  1. Start with a clean coffee pot. Remove the filter, discard the grounds (duh) and wash the carafe in hot, soapy water after each use. (yup, already do all of these). Run vinegar through automatic coffee makers periodically to clean inside. (do that too).

  2. Use natural or gold filter. (got gold).  Don't use filters that are bleached white paper, which can add unpleasant tastes.

  3. Invest in a coffee-bean grinder or grind your own beans. (Is this what I've been missing? Really, I just want a good cup of coffee.  Not opening a gourmet shop) Buy fresh-roasted and don't grind the beans until you're ready to make the coffee.

  4. Add 2 tablespoons of coffee for each 6-ounce cup. Use a medium grind for a filter with a flat bottom. Use a finer grind in a cone filter.

  5. Brew your coffee with cold bottled water.  Don't use distilled water or water with added vitamins.  Distilled water lacks the mineral qualities good coffee needs, and vitamin water can add flavors.

  6. Drink the coffee within 20 minutes, or store it in a vacuum carafe for a few hours.

Tips and Warnings

Buy a French press to make the richest cup of coffee.  If you use paper filters, rinse the in hot water first.  Don't store coffee in the refrigerator or freezer. Keep it in an airtight container in a cool place and don't buy more than you can use in a week.

Are you serious?  I just wanted to get rid of the bitter taste. Well maybe my researched helped someone here. hmph...

Maybe I'll just go back to Coke.  But before I do, I think I'll use this mornings left over coffee to try this little recipe I found.

*BTW - I created my first digital recipe card with Pic-Monkey.  What do you think?  Nothing fancy but not to bad for a novice.







I found a GREAT tutorial on "How To Make Recipe Cards In PicMonkey" by Brandi @ Home Cooking Memories.  You can see my pin to her tutorial below.

 

So who's a coffee drinker out there?  This isn't just talk this is a real question.  Plain or fancy what do you like?  Tell me about it.  Give me a hint people.  Don't let me sit and wonder anymore.  Seriously, don't make me beg.

Be sweet and mind your manners y'all!

♥ Tracy


4 comments:

  1. Love your story about your parents and coffee. I have always LOVED coffee! I have it in the mornings and then about 8:30 at night at least one cup! I can still smell the coffee on my Papa! I can remember him taking his coffee and pouring back in forth from cup to a bowl for us kids! So many great memories! Love the recipe and appreciate the great tips! Hope you are doing well. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW....I love all flavors of coffee. Cold with ice, frozen and hot. But I must say my all time favorite coffee is what I was raised on....HOT-FOLDGERS! Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is the coffee drinker. I do like tea myself, but I will drink coffee at parties and I definitely like it with lots of flavorings! I do love the smell of coffee too.
    twinkle at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my coffee and need it badly in the mornings. But....I wasn't ever a coffee drinker either until my mid 30's. My neighbor told me that it would help give me a full feeling to lose weight. So, I tried it daily and hated it. But for me, I finally found what works and that is french vanilla creamer and I use things like sweet n low only store brands. I have to have 2 in my coffee with creamer but it's so darn good. Love it nice and hot too but my daughter likes hers cooled off. Yuck, I reheat if mine gets cool. The difference in all of us

    ReplyDelete