Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Make Your Own Magnolia Leaf Wreath

More fall y'all.  
Have you all been crafting your little hearts out?  I've been trying to.  Sometimes the best laid plans are full of changes. Like when yucky stomach virus' comes on and decides that you're the perfect host, even when you don't want to be. I picture little purple and green men running amuck, like house guest who just DON'T want to leave.  I mean YUCK...
Back to more fun fall talk.
I made a magnolia wreath.  Easy yes, quick not so much.  You can find lots of tutorials on Pinterest.  I chose to copycat Michelle's over at Sweet Something Designs.  You can find all the step-by-step instructions along with a list of supplies right HERE.
Once the wreath was finished I couldn't resist adding some of the Magnolia seed pods,but they just sort of got lost in the leaves.  I'll fix that, says my inner voice.  It's nothing a little paint and Martha Stewart glitter can't fix.

So I mixed a couple of colors to come up with a chartreuse shade and while the paint's still wet, on goes a sprinkle of glitter.  Be sure to have a professional paint box like mine before you start.  Nothing but the best old box will do.  I used a block of styrofoam and some wooden skewers to hold the pods up and make them easy to work with.  Bam -  just like that, they brighten up the wreath.
To hang the wreath I used Red Jute Webbing.  I love this stuff. I already had some sitting around but you can find it online at the Online Fabric Store HERE for only 85 cents a yard.  Even less if you buy more than 69 yards,  Can you say big project?

To attach it to the wreath I simply wrapped the jute around and hot glued it just above the grape vine wreath.  Then I eye-balled where I wanted it to hang and since my door is wood, I just tapped a tack through it at the top of the door. Easy!

Still, it is Halloween and this beautiful wreath is just a little understated for such a fun holiday.
Lets add a garland, shall we.
Now, that's a little better.  Here's how I did it.
  • Print a cute vintage Halloween card on card stock
  • Cut a square piece of burlap the same side of your card.  Fold the burlap in half length-wise and cut at a diagonal on the bottom half.
  • I used Martha stewart's Loop Script Stencil Set & a sponge spouncer to stamp the letters.
  • Glue a length of ribbon across the top and tie scraps of colorful ribbon between each letter & picture.
  • I tied the ends of the ribbon to 2 skewers and used a drop of glue to hold it.  Then just stick the skewers into wreath. That way you can easily change the banner out in a few days for a Thanksgiving one.
I really did enjoy making it.  The leaf bundling was the easy part, the wiring to the grapevine wreath put a little hurtin' on my fingers but I think the more you do it the easier it gets.

I just realized all my porch decorations were created by me except the witch.  Oh' how I wish I could paint.  Stay tuned and I'll show you how to make my little trick-or-treater. She's been with us for years now.

* Tip - as the green leaves start fading just stick a few more in here and there.  Next year I would like to try making one using foam oasis to keep it fresh.  Maybe I'll try an all green one.

Thanks to Sweet Somethings Designs for the easy to follow tutorial.  Stop by and visit her and see all her creative designs.

Check out more of the fall items I worked on this week like the one's I've listed below:

I'd love to hear what you've been working on this week so I can come by and take a peek.

Hugs Y'all...

With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation. 
~ Psalm 91:16

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful!! I love your touches of painting the pods...it really does make the wreath pop! Your porch is so cute, too. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie! What a sweet comment. It always feels better to make something free and I love being able to make something that comes from nature. I hope you'll stop by again soon. OO's...Tracy

    ReplyDelete