Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Not So Impossible After All


Well I teased you yesterday.  You do remember the teaser, the ugly before picture below.  I found this 3 panel screen thrown away after being good and beaten up so no one would want to rescue it.  Well people you didn't do a good enough job with your hammer.  Yep, I saw good bones (frame, that is).
The front above and the back below.  Poor thing all that art work ruined.
So  what do you get when you add that to this fabric (old twin bed skirt)?
Here's the first peek.
And here is the after.



Not too shabby for trash, if I do say so myself.
I did go buy the wooden trim.  I didn't want to lose the arched detail on the top but had to cover all the staples.  I decided to by some simple trim molding and cut to length and then stained to match the existing wood stain.  I already had the perfect stain, so no money there.  Yippee!

I knew I was going to have to find some braid or fabric trim to cover the staples on the top and bottom.  I dreaded spending the money for it.  Yes, I can be cheap or better yet thrifty.  One day I was in Walmart where they were clearing out there fabric department and low and behold they had the exact color I was planning to buy on sale for 75% off! I bought what they had left and there wasn't much of anything left in the dept.  It was a meant to be thing.  Don't you just love it when things all come together like that?  It was a perfect match.

 I know you're all disappointed, that there's no beautiful vignette but decorating under our circumstances is almost impossible.  This did match MIL room perfect and if you look behind the screen you would see her oxygen equipment that sits there unused. She refuses.  Oh' but don't look at the back of the screen, you'll still see hammer holes.

Final Tally:
  • Screen =  Free
  • Stain = Free, already had
  • Fabric = Free upcycled bed skirt I already had
  • Trim molding = apprx. $25.00
  • Fabric Trim = apprx. $3.00
TOTAL = $28.00

4 comments:

  1. G'eve, Tracy, congrats on your wonderful wins! I love how you created the screen ... you are one fabulous gal with great vision.
    Have a great weekend.
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on winning!! It seems you are on a great winning streak lately : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tracy what a FAB job! You should be very proud of your hard work. xxoo Nan

    ReplyDelete