Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Big Fat Juicy Tomato Event at Winn Dixie - #WDBlogger

Disclosure:
This post was created in partnership with Winn Dixie. I have bene compensated in exchange for this post.



I bet you've never had a summer picnic or dined alfresco without tomatoes. Winn-Dixie knows that.  That's why they're celebrating the season of tomatoes with THE BIG FAT TOMATO EVENT.

Is it a vegetable?  Is it a fruit?  Actually it's Both, so that makes them double good!  And they're red which just conjures up thoughts of the 4th of July!  Tomatoes don't just taste good, they bring a punch of color to a plate of food for extra delicious eye appeal.

In honor of the often overlook fruit/vegetable I've come up with a couple of simple go to recipes for those busy summer days


My first step was to head to Winn-Dixie to take advantage of the great tomato deals. 


I not only picked up some fresh ripe on the vine tomatoes in the produce section, I headed over to the can goods and took advantage of the BOGO Free deals.  I not one to ever pass up free.  Looks like a lot of other people had the same idea.


Lucky me!  Even the grits were BOGO Free!! 


The 1st recipe is this Chilled Herbed Tomato Salad.  You'll cool off 10 degrees just by eating it.


This is the simplest recipe ever.


Now lets try something a little warmer.


Recipe #2 is a southern tradition - Southern Grilled Tomato Cheddar Grits.  We love our grits for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  This recipe is especially good when served with fried fish.


Grits are so filling not to mention inexpensive, yet you'll find them in the finest restaurants in the south.  Tomatoes add an extra zing and dress them up a bit too.


I like my recipes nice and easy and this is another example of that.


Tomatoes are delicious, nutritious and versatile. Their beautiful colors and lively flavors can be found in soups, salads, sauces and sandwiches all over the world. Tomatoes are kind of a big deal. And a fat and juicy deal, too. That’s why Winn-Dixie decided it was about time the tomato was honored with an event that’s equally as amazing.


This is the season for the Big Fat Juicy Tomato so get them while you can at your local Winn-Dixie.  Whether you like them fruity and sweet or tart and tangy, there's no substitute for ripe, juicy, in-season tomatoes.

  • Peak Tomato Season: June through September.
  • Look For: Fragrant tomatoes that are firm, richly colored and heavy for their size.
  • Store: In a single layer at room temperature. Use within a few days.
Check out this page for even more tomato facts: Winn-Dixie's Big Fat Juicy Tomato Event

Wishing y'all good eatin'...


Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
~ Genesis 9:3

15 comments:

  1. I love good tomatoes. i would have never thought to pair it with grits. The recipes look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love tomatoes they are delicious and great for so many recipes. I am curious about the tomato grits =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these recipes and want to make the Southern Grilled Tomato Grits. I like tomatoes in my dishes and these recipes that you shared are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love tomatoes at our house. My mom even planted cherry tomatoes this year in her garden. The Southern Grilled Tomato Cheddar Grits recipe looks superb. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like this would be very refreshing outside on a hot day or inside on a hot day

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love any thing Tomatos!! i sometimes eat them alone so good

    freebiel0ve@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chilled herb tomato salad looks really good. perfect for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh the Southern Grilled tomato grits sounds delish! I love tomatoes and never thought about tomatoes with grits. My mother-in-law would love this too. She loves grits and tomatoes. This really sounds like a good southern recipe :)
    tweety800265(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These recipes look wonderful. I must have the southern grilled tomato cheddar grits today. I pinned both of these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tomatoes on just about anything, you did a great job with that salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those grits look so good! I love grits, but have only had them with butter on them. I cannot wait to try this! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love tomatoes and I never heard of Southern Grilled Tomato Grits. They sure sound good I will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tomato and cheddar grits sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this post with these two fabulous recipes that I will definitely be making ~ Starting with the Tomatoes and Cheddar Grits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yummy! Thank you for the recipes. Tomatos are my favorite fruit! I usually eat them up in a salsa but I love them anyway you dice them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate these because they are recipes that real people can make with reasonable ingredients to find or have.

    ReplyDelete