Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Saturday, December 21, 2013

DIY Christmas Pallet Art Craft

Do you need one more project for last minute Christmas decorating.  I have one or two here.
You probably have just enough time to knock this baby out, all with things you can find right around your home.
Look around your house and see what you have that can spark your creativity.

After sitting my Santas out I need something in the middle with some height.  What to do, what to do?  I found one of these tacky little christmas trees in a plastic bucket sitting around.  I wasn't about to sit out untouched, as is.  I tore it out of the foam and looked at it like "what the heck am I gonna do with a wire post".  Inspiration struck when I went digging in Neil's room of weird treasures.
That's were I found this vintage cast iron bell holder. I love that it's stamped PHILA. PA and that it has that lovely scroll work!!  Upside down the hole was perfect for holding my tree. I just stuck a couple of styrofoam balls in to hold it up right.  I love it!!!
Remember when decorating balance is important.  Using lifts is a great way to achieve height.  One of my Santas was much smaller than the other.  They don't need to be the same size but more in scale than these really are.  By sitting the one Santa on a block of foam covered with a piece of scrap gingham fabric and sitting it in a basket basket, it's now more in scale.
Remember to just play with what you have and you'll be surprised how things come together.  I added a wrapped gift and these adorable pop-up cards to fill empty space.
Here's a simple tutorial to make your own pallet plaques.
The steps to making the pallet plaques, if that's what you call it, couldn't be more simple.
  1. Grab a some old fence boards, saw, hammer, nails, clamps and gorilla glue.
  2. Decide how big your plaques should be.  I used the bread size Christmas plates, so I made my plaques about 10"x14".
  3. I didn't have any glue at the times so I layed 3 boards side by side face down.  On the back I used 2 paint paddles and nailed each board.  You know my motto - "Get 'er done" with whatever you have, do or die.  The nails were too long, so once I turned the plaque over I just snipped off the tips of the nails. **If you have gorilla glue just skip this step and glue the planks together side-by-side and clamp till dry.  I did come back and add glue later.
  4. To make the hanger on the back I added 2 tiny tacks and wrapped floral wire between them.
  5. I didn't want my plates attached permanently because I'd like to change them out later for a summer feel.  To solve that issue I made homemade hangers by snipping paper clips in half and then attached them to the plate with a combination of gorilla glue and hot glue to hold in place and then cover them with a bit of felt.
And that's how you create pallet art work on a zero budget.
I have to admit the pallet and plate art wasn't my idea but I think I made it my own for Christmas.  I got the idea from April at House By Hoff.  She's one super creative gal, be sure to stop by and see for yourself.  You can see her pallet art tutorial that I pinned HERE.  

Hey, don't leave yet.  If you enjoy that DIY project, click HERE to checkout my Hot Cocoa Beverage Bar. 
Be sure to enter my Swiss Colony - Make entertaining easy giveaway HERE.

Merry Christmas Y'all...
The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
                  ~ Proverbs 18:10 

6 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful, I may have to try this for next next year or maybe try somethig for Easter decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy. Easy is my favorite craft - right up there with free. I hope you try it and let me know when you do so I can take a peek too. Hope you're enjoying 3014!

      Delete
  2. I came over from the comment you left on my blog. Thanks for leading me to your blog. I love that bell holder and how you used it. Anything vintage like that has my heart. Your Christmas display is cute. I've been clicking around here and enjoy your projects.

    Shannon ~ bohemianjunktion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came by Shannon. I knew when I found your blog we'd have a lot in common. I hope you'll come by often. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

      Delete
  3. I am SO glad I'm not the only one who uses paper clips to hang things with!! LOL Love your pallet art. Boy do I kick myself now. When we cleared out the farm we haulled truckloads and truckloads of pallets to the dumps. Sure whish I had all those now. Of course, not sure where I would have stored them until I got to use them. I've even had dreams about hauling those darn pallets! Dad would stack the bales on them to keep the hay off the ground.
    yeah, yeah, hindsight. Love your project!! *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I know what you mean. I'm now picturing myself as an old lady living on a farm with a barn & surrounded by old junk everywhere, while wearing an apron dress. haha - and that dreams looking better to me every day. I'm starting to scare myself. hee-hee. Yeah, hindsights 20/20. <3

      Delete