Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Memories Get Packed Away

It's time to pack another fall away.
I'm going to miss this sweet little Indian with the cherub face.

Christmas season is in full swing.  The calendar didn't allow any wiggle room this year with Thanksgiving day falling so late.

As I pack away the last of the subtle shades of November, I realize that my appreciation of the celebration as grown with age.
Thanksgiving and it's muted colors, give us a chance to rest our eyes between the electric colors of Halloween and the bright and sparkly colors that ring out with Christmas.  It's a chance to pause and give thanks for all that we have in our lives, for family here and far away. It's a season that I can fully appreciate now and I'm thankful that I've learned to reflect and enjoy it's peace.
Our Thanksgiving didn't go exactly as planned.  One family member had car troubles, so Laken and her family couldn't make it but I was so glad to have my cousin Greg join us.

The turkey was done early, before 12 and dinner was right on track.  The three of us went for a nice walk to enjoy the unusually crisp weather until time to start the next dish.  We were welcomed back to a house that was filled with the smells of turkey, Southern cornbread stuffing, and sweet potato and green bean casseroles.
Time to prepare the deviled eggs and creamed corn.  That's when it happened.  I had already felt it coming on.  As I rushed to the bathroom, I knew right then I was done.  I had tried to push on through the day but that was it.  I was SICK...
With my recipes on the counter, my dear Greg was left to finish dinner all by himself. He did a great job I hear.  I say hear because that's all I know about it.  I never did get to eat. I passed out on the couch with a rag on my forehead and slept for hours.  My cousin Bobbie came by and I was rested enough to get to enjoy her for a bit of a visit too.  There's nothing like the sweet hugs of a mama to make you feel better, even when it's not your mama.
My dessert plates sat untouched because everyone was too stuffed to dig into the delicious pumpkin pies Greg brought but we kept a little for Neil and sent the rest home with the family.

Thanksgiving's been over for 4 days now and I'm still on my "diet", i.e...to sick to eat, but I can savor the thought that we were blessed to be with family and have Thanksgiving this year.

I hope your Thanksgiving was spent with family, friends or loved ones, hopefully all three.

I made the Thanksgiving jar candleholders a few years back. You can see that post here

Let the Christmas festivities begin y'all...

No comments:

Post a Comment