Discription

Everything Southern & So Cotton Pickin Cute

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Makeover A Pallet Into A Family Sign

With all the pallet inspiration floating around blogland I knew it was just a matter of time before I made something from them too.
Say hello to my family beach sign.  At least that's what it reminds me of.  Trying to pull nails out of old pallets is about as hard as it gets.  My solution, drag Neil into my project and get him use the circular saw and cut them apart. 
I wanted to make each one a different color and of course I didn't want to spend any money, so I just used what I could dig up around here.  Sorry but I didn't take a picture of the next couple of steps. I took the electric sander and roughed the paint up a bit.  Then I hand painted the names of the family with some acrylic craft paint.
I used the drill to make holes for the twine.  I marked the spots on both the top and bottom and drilled half way from each side to meet in the middle.

It worked.
I used one length of string for the whole sign and tied knots evenly (sorta) between each name to keep them spaced.
I've started with Neil and me, then my son and his wife and our grandchildren by oldest to youngest.
This thing's heavy, so we were sure to find a stud to nail the hanger into.  I used a small wooden thread spool with the nail going though it to make a beefier hanger.
To add the shells to the bottom, I brought out the hot glue gun.  I twisted some wire and made a puddle of glue on the back of each shell embedding the wire.  Then I could just thread the shells on the twine for a nice finishing touch.
I hope you like it.  I smile and think of my loved ones every time I see it!  All that happiness on a ZERO budget.  Money out of pocket = $0.00.  Everything I used was leftovers from other projects.

Thanks for taking the time out to visit me.  I hope you'll leave a comment so I'll know where to visit you too.  Plus, it just makes me feel so doggone GOOD when you do!
Hugs...Tracy ♥
I'm linking my new family sign up to the following parties. There are so many creative bloggers.  Just click on the party below and magically go there and check them out for yourself.

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love your sign! Now I want to make one! Thanks for this post sweet lady! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love personalized crafts like this. The colors are so pretty. :) Thank you so much for stopping by my blog earlier! :)

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOOOO CUTE. Can you believe, I picked up a pallet at the dumpster yesterday. Didn't know what I would do with it, but knew it had potential. Now you've given me an idea.
    I've just become your newest follower. Please, please come visit me and maybe you'll follow back. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE zero $ projects that turn out so nice! I think this is a great use for the pallet! I am Linky Following now! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cute Tracey! we have piles of pallets out behind the barn..but I wouldnt dare touch them! lol.. hubby uses them for stuff.. though I do think if I asked him to take one apart for me, he would.
    thanks for the idea.
    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love any project that involves pallets, and the colors you chose are super cute! I have a Zachary as well! Beautiful names, and a very pretty way to display them! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I'll have to do this for my family! :D

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo cute! I love the little seashell details! Following you back!

    {Hugs}
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really cute and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! Very creative;)

    You have been tagged! Come Check It Out!

    http://canadianangelxo.blogspot.com/2012/03/ive-been-tagged-in-tag-o-maniawere-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this project!! It is so neat. One of the best uses of pallets I have seen. Blessings, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job! Thanks for stopping over at my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I featured you today :)

    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/03/made-by-me-22-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! Im a bit into pallets myself ya know! Taking them apart is HORRIBLE! I'm incorporating them into this weeks project and im so not looking forward to that part! Hubby didn't help! Thanks for coming by! Im following ya back!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy Tracy, you & I share the same passion in wood working & painting onto those pallets, I spend everyday in my craft shed creating things that I sell, & love to hand paint onto them. I love your signs! Mu hubby brought me a big ole stack of the pallets home, some are rougher than others but that suits me fine with the country charm they bring to my creations. Swing by my pintrest board here & see what I do with mine. Check out my hand painted old wooden windows too, you might want to give those a whirl lol. Your at the beach so you could do you a beach themed one, like I do and sell. I look forward to seeing more post like this one from ya! To make your signs last for years, go buy you some clear spray at walmart & give them about 3 coats each. Oh, those pallets make great wood chimes too, I will have to pin that for you soon to see too :) Julie
    http://pinterest.com/juliecutshaw/my-handcrafted-items/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool. My wife is a photographer and could use some of those on some shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww what a creative and cute craft idea!

    ReplyDelete